THE IMPORT ONE-STOP SHOP (IOSS)
- The Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) is the electronic portal businesses can use from the 1st of July 2021 to comply with their VAT e-commerce obligations on distance sales of imported goods.
- According to the VAT rules applicable up until the 1st of July 2021, no import VAT has to be paid for commercial goods of a value up to EUR 22.
What is the benefit of IOSS?
- The IOSS allows suppliers and electronic interfaces selling imported goods to buyers in the EU to collect, declare and pay the VAT to the tax authorities, instead of making the buyer pay the VAT at the moment the goods are imported into the EU.
- A business may find this advantageous as it offers their end customers/consumers the ability to pay a total price for their goods at the point of sale rather than be presented with a customs charge upon receipt of the goods.
- You will need to register on the IOSS portal.
- Non EU businesses may need to appoint an EU established intermediary to fulfil their vat obligations.
- A customs agent will need to be assigned for customs clearance / goods declaration.
- Goods / consignments must not exceed 150 euro to qualify for IOSS.